On World Population Day, Uttar Pradesh CM has released the state’s new population policy, which aims to reduce its growth rate to 2.1 per cent over the next 10 years.
- Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Yogi Adityanath urged for community-centric approach to population control to provide people better facilities.
- Community centric approach is required to raise awareness about population in certain communities.
- Poverty and illiteracy are major factors population expansion.
- So new policy will be released in line with the objectives embedded in spirit of Sustainable Development Goals.
Fertility Rate in Uttar Pradesh
Total fertility rate in Uttar Pradesh is 2.7 per cent. It should ideally be less than 2.1 per cent. Most of the states have achieved the ideal fertility rate, except Bihar and UP. 2011 census has tagged Uttar Pradesh as most populous state of India followed by Maharashtra and Bihar.
Objectives of the policy
- Under the policy, five-pronged approach to population control will be adopted. It will also focus on improving health.
- Government will make efforts to increase accessibility of contraceptive measures which are issued under Family Planning Programme. Government will also be providing a proper system for safe abortion.
- Government will also make efforts towards stabilization of population by providing solutions for impotence and infertility.
- Efforts towards reducing infant and maternal mortality rate will also be made through improved health facilities.
- Policy will focus on comprehensive arrangements for care of elderly and give importance to improved management of education, health, and nutrition for adolescents aged 11 to 19 years.
- Efforts will be made to maintain demographic balance across different communities and ensure easy availability of advanced health facilities.
Who will not benefit from the law?
- According to the bill, people having more than two children in UP will be debarred from benefits of all government-sponsored welfare schemes, cannot contest local polls.
- They shall be ineligible to apply for government jobs under the state or receiving any kind of subsidy, cannot get a promotion in a government job and his or her ration card would be limited to four members.