Ministry of Jal Shakti announces selection of 12 sites for transforming them into ‘Swachh Tourist Destinations’ under Phase-IV.
About Swachh Iconic Places (SIP):
What is it? It is an initiative of Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation under Swachh Bharat Mission.
Aims to take iconic places and their surroundings to higher standards of Swachhata, so that all visitors benefit and also take away home the message of cleanliness.
Implementation of the project: It is a collaborative project with three other central Ministries: Urban Development, Culture, Tourism; all levels in the concerned States and more importantly, Public Sector and Private companies as partners.
Initiatives taken up under Swachh Iconic Places initiative:
Improved sewage infrastructure, installation of Sewage Treatment Plant (STP), drainage facilities, improved sanitation facilities, water vending machines, solid and liquid waste management (SLWM) set-up, structure restoration, lighting arrangements, beautification of parks, roads maintenance, better transport facilities in approach and access areas besides at the main sites.
Swachh Iconic Places Nodal Ministry
The nodal ministry for the SIP scheme is the Ministry of Jal Shakti. However, the programme is coordinated by the ministries of Tourism, Culture and Housing and Urban Affairs, and also the respective state government of the site, apart from the Jal Shakti Ministry/Dept. of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
Swachh Iconic Places Sites
The list of selected heritage sites under the SIP scheme is given below.
SIP Phase 1
The first phase was announced in 2016.
- CST Mumbai
- Ajmer Sharif Dargah, Ajmer
- Kamakhya Temple, Assam
- Golden Temple, Amritsar
- Meenakshi Temple, Madurai
- Manikarnika Ghat, Varanasi
- Taj Mahal, Agra
- Shri Mata Vaishno Devi, Katra, J&K
- Tirupati Temple, Tirumala
- Shree Jagannath Temple, Puri
SIP Phase 2
- Somnath Temple, Gujarat
- Mahakaleshwar Temple, Ujjain
- Char Minar, Hyderabad
- Adi Shankaracharya’s abode, Kaladi, Ernakulam
- Church and Convent of St. Francis of Assissi, Goa
- Gomateshwar, Shravanbelgola
- Gaya Tirth, Bihar
- Baijnath Dham, Devghar
SIP Phase 3
- Sri Raghavendra Swamy Mutt Mantralayam, Andhra Pradesh
- Sree Dharma Sastha Temple, Sabarimala, Kerala
- Vidur Kuti Temple, Uttar Pradesh
- Mana Village, Uttarakhand
- Shri Sarveshwar Mahadev Temple, Vadodara
- Kanvashram, Uttar Pradesh
- Shri Nag Vasuki Temple, Prayagraj
- Ema Keithel, Manipur
- Pangong Tso, Ladakh
- Hazarduari Palace, West Bengal
SIP Phase 4
The list of selected sites for phase IV of the Swachh Iconic Places scheme was released in February 2021. The following are the places selected:
- Kalighat Temple, West Bengal
- Ajanta Caves, Maharashtra
- Agra Fort, Agra, Uttar Pradesh
- Sanchi Stupa, Madhya Pradesh
- Banke Bihari Temple, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
- Kumbhalgarh Fort, Rajasthan
- Dal Lake, Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir
- Jaisalmer Fort, Rajasthan
- Rock Garden, Chandigarh
- Ramdevra, Jaisalmer, Rajasthan
- Sun Temple, Konark, Odisha
- Golconda Fort, Hyderabad, Telangana