The Ministry of Jal Shakti began ‘SUJALAM’, a ‘100 days campaign’ to create more and more ODF Plus villages by undertaking waste water management at village level particularly through creation of 1 million Soak-pits and also other Grey water management activities.
What is SUJALAM?
- SUJALAM Campaign is a 100 days campaign launched as a part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrations.
- This campaign seeks to create more ODF Plus villages by undertaking waste water management across villages in India.
- During the campaign, ten lakh Soak-pits will be created.
- Efforts under the campaign would be directed towards achieving the ODF plus status for villages in an accelerated manner.
Objectives of the campaign
- The effort of the campaign would be directed towards achieving the ODF plus status for villages across the country in an accelerated manner in a short time.
- The campaign will not only build desired infrastructure soak pit for management of greywater in villages but will also aid in sustainable management of water bodies.
- The disposal of wastewater and clogging of water bodies in the villages or on the outskirts of the villages remain one of the major problems.
- The Campaign would help in the management of the wastewater and in turn, would help to revive the water bodies.