RBI announces RDG account for hassle-free trading in govt bonds for retail investors. A “Gilt Account” means an account opened and maintained for holding Government securities, by an entity or a person.
Features of the scheme
- Objective: For improving ease of access by retail investors through online access to the G-secs market – both primary and secondary – along with the facility to open their gilt securities account (‘Retail Direct’) with the RBI.
- This account can be opened through a dedicated online portal, which will provide registered users access to primary issuance of government securities (G-secs) and to NDS-OM. NDS-OM means RBI’s screen based, anonymous electronic order matching system for trading in government securities in the secondary market.
- This will provide one-stop solution to facilitate investment in G-secs by individual investors.
- No fee will be charged for opening and maintaining the account with the RBI.
- Non-Resident retail investors eligible to invest in government securities under Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 are also eligible under the scheme.