Eight states got new governors on July 6, 2021 as President Ram Nath Kovind made some major new changes. The new governors have been appointed for states including Haryana, Karntaka, Madhya Pradesh, Goa, Tripura,Jharkhand, Mizoram and Himachal Pradesh.
List of New Governors
1. PS Sreedharan Pillai, the current Governor of Mizoram, has been appointed as Governor of Goa.
2. Union minister Thawarchand Gehlot has been appointed as Karnataka Governor.
3. Bandaru Dattatraya, the present Governor of Himachal Pradesh has been appointed as Governor of Haryana.
4. Satyadev Narayan Arya, the present Haryana Governor has been transferred and appointed as the new Tripura Governor.
5. Mangubhai Chhaganbhai Patel has been appointed as the new Madhya Pradesh Governor.
6. Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar has been appointed as the new Governor of Himachal Pradesh.
7. Hari Babu Kambhampati has been appointed as the new Governor of Mizoram.
8. Ramesh Bais, the current Tripura Governor has been appointed as Governor of Jharkhand.
- Governor is the head of the executive of the state.
- He/she is appointed by President of India.
- Qualifications and conditions for appointment:
- Should be a citizen of India.
- Should have completed 35 years of age.
- Should not hold any office of profit under the union govt. or state govt. or any local Authority or any other public authority.
- Should not be a member of either house of parliament or a house of the state legislature.
- Governor holds office for a term of 5 years from the date on which he assumes office. This term of 5 years is subject to the pleasure of president.
- He/she can resign anytime by addressing a resignation letter to the president.
- Oath: The oath of office to the governor is administered by the chief justice of concerned HC and in his absence by the senior-most judge of the HC available.
- By 7th Constitution Amendment Act of 1956, same person can be appointed as governor of 2 or more states.