President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Anup Chandra Pandey, a retired Uttar Pradesh-cadre IAS officer, to the post of Election Commissioner. Following the elevation of Sushil Chandra as the CEC, the position of an EC was vacant since April 13
- Retired IAS officer Anup Chandra Pandey on Wednesday took charge as Election Commissioner.
- Mr. Pandey, a 1984 batch IAS officer of the Uttar Pradesh cadre, joins Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Sushil Chandra and Election Commissioner Rajiv Kumar to complete the three-member commission. He retired as Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh in 2019.
- Under his administrative leadership as Chief Secretary, the State successfully organised the Kumbh Mela at Prayagraj and Paravasi Bhartiya at Varnasi Diwas in 2019.
- Mr. Pandey had served in the Defence and Labour and Employment Ministries.
- Mr. Pandey has a keen interest in writing and has authored a book titled Governance in Ancient India, which explores the evolution, nature, scope, functions and all related aspects of ancient Indian Civil Service from the Rig Veda period to 650 AD.
- Mr. Pandey was appointed by the President on Tuesday, filling the vacancy that was created when Mr. Chandra was elevated from Election Commissioner to the post of CEC upon the completion of then-CEC Sunil Arora’s term in April.
Source- The Hindu